What is dandruff, why does it occur and how does it go away?
Dandruff is a very common problem. Studies show that 50% of adults worldwide suffer from this disease. Dandruff is not dangerous, but it can negatively affect the appearance and psychology of a person. In this article, we will tell you what dandruff is, why it occurs and how to deal with it. Let’s look at the details together.
You may be interested in:
9 Habits You Unknowingly Cause Dandruff
For those who want shiny and healthy hair: the best shampoos for dry hair
What is dandruff?
Dandruff is a skin condition that occurs on the scalp and causes symptoms such as flaking, itching, or redness. This is due to the fact that the cells regenerate faster than usual. In healthy skin, the cells of the top layer of the scalp mature and die, but this process is slow and controlled. In some people, these cells mature and die very quickly, causing flaking and dandruff.
Dandruff is a skin condition like eczema or acne. It can also happen due to reasons such as fungus, oily skin, and diet. It is not dangerous, but it can take a long time to heal. In this case, you should consult a dermatologist.
Why is this happening?
There are many reasons for the formation of dandruff. One of them is the fungus Malassezia, which is commonly found on our skin. This microorganism is a natural part of the scalp and usually does not cause problems. However, with an increase in sebum production, the fungus that feeds on it can grow and multiply faster. Sebum is an oil produced by the sebaceous glands of the hair follicles. Hydrates, protects and lubricates hair and skin.
Another common cause of dandruff is improper hair care. Knowing your skin type is very important not only for the face, but also for the hair. Improper hair care can increase or decrease the oiliness of the scalp. Both conditions can cause dandruff. Common mistakes in hair care:
- Frequent washing: Washing your hair too often can dry out your skin by stripping away the oils that are naturally found in your skin.
- Strong Shampoos: Some shampoo ingredients are too harsh for sensitive scalps and can dry out the scalp and cause dandruff.
- Hot water: Hot water can cause the natural oils in your skin to run out and dry out your skin again. Therefore, it is better to wash your hair with warm or cold water.
- Wrong care products: Using products that are not suitable for your hair type can also cause dandruff.
- Overheat: Many thermal treatments such as hair dryer, hair dryer, straightening dry the scalp. That is why you should reduce them as much as possible.
Also, if you have an oily scalp, not washing enough can lead to sebum buildup and dandruff. That’s why it’s so important to know your hair type.
Hormonal imbalances and a weak immune system can also cause dandruff. Dandruff caused by poor hair care can be easily treated, but dandruff caused by hormones can take a little longer.
How is it treated?
To reduce dandruff, you can use a mild shampoo suitable for your skin type. In this way, you will prevent the accumulation of excess sebum. In cases where the rash is severe, you can see a dermatologist and use the medicated shampoos recommended by your doctor. Special shampoos with active ingredients are also quite effective. The next time you buy a hair care product, be sure to include the following ingredients: zinc, tar, salicylic acid, selenium sulfide, ketoconazole.
You can also add a few drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo to help heal your scalp. One way to treat dandruff internally is to consume foods containing zinc and B vitamins.
You may be interested in:
Dandruff or dry scalp? Causes of itchy hair and suggestions for elimination
13 problems faced by those who have gray hair not due to dandruff
- How is Women’s Day celebrated on March 8 in our country and in the world?
- Tips to help you create even dynamics in a romantic relationship
- Tips to help you deal with the crisis after your pre-school vacation
- I go in for sports, but there is no result: Why and what to do?
- Top 10 best-selling beauty products you should always have in your bag
- 11 interesting facts about Vlad the Impaler
- 9 beauty mistakes that can instantly spoil our appearance
- What mistakes are made in skin care?
- What I saw last week: two galleries worth visiting
- The 7 Most Important Heroes of Ancient Greek Mythology