Reasons why we need background sounds
When you imagine a typical day, does silence prevail or is there a voice behind every action you take? For example, do you turn on music as soon as you get in your car, look for something to watch or listen to while you cook dinner, or always prepare your playlist before taking a shower? ‘Yes, it’s just me‘, you may need to rethink your relationship with background sounds. Because, according to science, background noise only comes from the need for sound No; It could also point to something else. Although the need for background sounds is not always a problem, the constant need for background sounds can signal some negative situations.
Why do we need background sounds?
Of course, there can be many explanations for our need for background sounds while performing various activities in our daily lives. Research on insomnia and anxiety great health clinical psychologist Jenna Carlsays background sounds are an effective tool for avoiding disturbing thoughts and feelings. He emphasizes that these sounds mainly serve as a distraction; because the brain is stimulated by the vibrations caused by the sounds, and thus the connection between the brain cells is ensured.
Some studies have shown that people are exposed to certain levels of noise:
- make better decisions
- manage your emotions
- control your reactions
- to their peace
- to reduce stress,
- She notes that it helps them focus and increase their creativity.
Background sounds, which play a soothing role in the face of disturbing thoughts taking over our minds or intrusive emotions we avoid feeling, are actually distracting us with sound stimuli to fill our attentional capacity and create a relaxing effect for the moment. And this allows us to take refuge in the world of sounds in order to get rid of the “monster of silence”. However, it should be noted that not always when it is preferred in the dose.
Although useful at certain points as a sort of coping skill, it can become unhealthy when background sounds, which are very often preferred, are continuous. Because we listen to our own mind and soul, muffling background sounds; We need to listen to our feelings and thoughts.
jenna Carl,Distracting the mind with sounds must be done consciously..’ says and adds “It is good to control negative thinking and anxiety; however, it is also necessary to recognize any underlying negative emotions and deal with them in a healthy way.” Otherwise background noise:
- This can be distracting and make it difficult to focus on the task at hand.
- It can make it difficult to fall asleep, disturb the quality of sleep, cause insomnia,
- It can increase anxiety levels
- This may prevent them from fulfilling their duties,
- It can damage a person’s connection with himself,
- This can lead to addiction.
So, how can we leave the background noises and listen to our feelings and thoughts?
It is normal not to want to focus on difficult feelings, worries, and anxious thoughts when they are strong, such feelings and thoughts can prevent you from feeling comfortable and safe, or cause you to do things that you would not normally do. However, trying to avoid them by silencing them can lead to even more stalemate. Instead of being distracted by background noises, you need to feel them in order to overcome the obsessive sensations. Because?
- Mindfulness practices: Mindfulness, which we can define as the ability to stay in the moment, can help you not judge yourself and feel more confident about your emotions. If a thought in your mind or an emotion that you feel with your whole being and body is making your life difficult, you can control your reactions by focusing on the moment. Focusing on your breath, watching the pouring rain, or meditating can help you stay in the present moment, allowing you to work through difficult emotions in the most tolerant way. On the other hand, you can also try the 5-4-3-2-1 method. This way; It includes listing 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can feel, and 1 thing you can taste. Thus, you can immerse yourself in the present moment.
- Cognitive restructuring: This technique requires the tension of your thinking. In other words, it allows you to understand what emotions or thoughts are actually making you feel good or bad. Cognitive restructuring is at the heart of cognitive therapy; It is a therapeutic technique that helps people recognize and change negative thought patterns. For example, if your feelings or thoughts are only black or white for you, they may try to add different colors between them; You can try to approach and change things that you think are black or white from a different perspective.
- Impact of anxiety: Sometimes the best way to deal with an emotion, contain it, and curb the anxiety it causes is to:What could be the worst?‘ is to ask a question. You can reduce anxiety by imagining the worst case scenario. It may not be as bad as you think, and most of your worries are in vain. Addressing your fear can help you deal with it and feel much better afterwards.
You can give yourself space and time to feel your emotions, face your thoughts, or, as we mentioned above, turn on your favorite playlist or favorite TV program when you can enjoy the benefits of background sounds. However, be careful not to run away from yourself at every opportunity, and be careful to use it in moderation so that this habit does not turn into an addiction.
You may be interested in: Ways to deal with difficult feelings and emotional triggers
- What does astrologer Duygu Demir pay attention to in M. Serdar Kılıç’s podcast?
- Path of the Peaceful Warrior: Meditation
- 27 Interesting Facts About Christmas You Haven’t Heard Of
- What you need to know about the Nubian pyramids
- 8 largest tsunamis recorded in world history
- Let go of negative thoughts with the Gratitude Flow technique.
- 10 Most Famous Joseph Pilates Quotes and Their Philosophy: Part 2
- 12 interesting objects from the tomb of the Egyptian pharaoh Tutankhamun
- How does Chile, an earthquake-prone country, avoid injury during natural disasters?
- Everything curious about the history of Shahmaran (Shahmaran)